Saturday 27 June 2009

Garapa 3/10

Garapa directed by Jose Padhila is a documentary looking at three  different families who live in one of the most poorest areas of native Brazil. This touching documentary was focusing on the sad and harsh realities of the families conditions covering malnutrition and bad health conditions. 
I know it is an extremely serious topic and it should be known in the western world but after an hour I wish I followed the paths of several members of the audience who walked out the screening. The documentary had a good unnecessary 2 and half hours which should have been cut. It required too much time  of the audience. The look of it was not alluring at all, it was black and white it had subtitles to follow. As one of my fellow class mates mentioned, It was like the documentary was not edited it was just a showing of tape rushes. Also to top it off the families were starting to irritate me and instead of feeling sorry, I was annoyed. Garapa was a very forgettable documentary. 

No comments: